What is actually going on with darkmail?

Off topic discussions
jitters

What is actually going on with darkmail?

Post#1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:50 pm

I've been following darkmail since day one. Lately it seems the site is down constantly, there is no news, the github repository is not updated for months.

Is darkmail still moving forward or has it stalled for whatever reason?

It would be nice if someone could just take 5 minutes and talk to those of us that are/have been excited about this project.

Thanks

Sasparilla

Re: What is actually going on with darkmail?

Post#2 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:50 pm

I was wondering as well. Just the site being up is a victory at this point.

Lots of changes on the front door (no more Silent Circle out front, maybe they didn't want to help with the cost of the site anymore), just Ladar and his dog. Bit of a bummer loosing Silent Circle just from a marketing standpoint and now no longer listed as founding members. :(

It sounds like (based on the article you linked to previously - below) Ladar is probably close to relaunching Lavabit and basing it off the new protocol (although not fully implemented?) - always takes longer to get something up and running than you think...so maybe that's the delay. He talks about someone else getting something up sooner (wonder if that would be Silent Circle...course they'd probably still be on the front shingle if that was the case).

http://www.zdnet.com/article/dark-mail- ... r-levison/

jitters

Post#3 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:49 am

I know, I was excited to see the page was actually up.

I noticed the changes and the loss of the silent circle logo. If lavabit is coming back that's great, but as I said I just wish there was more communication with the community.

For Darkmail to be adopted there are going to have to be actual darkmail servers. For that to happen people need to know what's going on, the status etc.

I'm not trying to detract from the amount of work that this project must be taking, on the other hand the small amount of time it would take to not only let us know what is going on, and to update some of the materials needed to get dime up and running would be nominal. My guess is that most of the folks either in these forums or following on Github are technically savvy, and don't need a hundred page write up. Just give me the barebones here's the setup, here's what's working, here's what is not.

Let people start building/hacking away at servers. It could only help as a test bed. Plus when DIME is finally complete there will be a starting base of people able to get it up and running.

Just my 2c as someone excited about this project.

neo

Post#4 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:17 am

Necro bump.

Any News?

Return to “General Discussion”